A Long History of Community Care
During the Second World War, with many doctors away on active service, those who remained performing civilian service found that co-operation was essential and realised the value of being able to work together. Consequently after the war the idea of partnership and group practice was much more recognised than before.
Dr. W.A. Sloss and Dr. W.R. Griffiths had been in partnership since 1929 and in 1946 they, with Dr. W.A. Pryor and Dr. E.R.G. Sheil considered the possibility of forming a joint group practice.
Dr. D.B. Skewes, Dr. Griffiths’ brother-in-law and recently discharged from the R.A.A.F., and Dr. W.L. Sloss, son of Dr. W.A. Sloss, recently discharged from the A.I.F., were asked to join, and accepted as partners. The Ballarat Group Practice commenced operation on the 1st August 1946.
Although the eventual plan was to have a central building as a clinic for the Group, the partners initially conducted their practices from their own surgeries; 710 Sturt St, 706 Sturt St, 125 Victoria St. and 425 Sturt St.
In April 1954, the plan to establish a central clinic was realised when the Group bought Dr. W.A. Sloss’s house at 706 Sturt Street – where we continued to practice until January 2018.
It was agreed however to maintain the Victoria Street Clinic, as it was felt there was a need for a surgery to service that area of the city.
By 1962, the Victoria Street Practice had increased greatly and consequently in early 1963 the property at 63 Victoria Street was purchased with a view to building a suitable clinic to cope with the increased number of patients. The new building opened on Monday 29th June 1964.
In mid 1969 it was suggested that due to a considerable growth in population in the Wendouree area, the Group should investigate the prospect of building a clinic to better serve that area of Ballarat. The Howitt Street Practice opened its doors on the 14th December 1970.
The Ballarat Group Practice was seventy years old on the 1st of August 2016 and is proud of its reputation of having given good medical service to Ballarat. We are aiming to maintain our high standards as we move forward with confidence.
The Ballarat Group Practice is owned by 14 current principals of the Practice and provides all the administrative and support services required by the doctors who work at the Practice.